Keeping track of how much time you spend on your tasks has many obvious advantages:
- The first and most obvious - you know how much to bill your clients.
- You can find out what parts of your process you need to improve.
- You can make sure your time is not being monopolized by just one of the things you should do
- You can improve you estimation skills
- Your time management becomes streamlined and more efficient.
But there is one more advantage to time tracking that isn’t obvious – time tracking helps you focus.
The timer counting in the background has a huge psychological impact – that ticking clock is telling you "Now you work on task X and nothing else", once you start the timer you know it's wrong to read random blogs on the internet or play solitaire, now your time belongs to that task and you better use it correctly.
I can tell you from personal experience that the day I started using time tracking software (yaTimer, obviously) the time I spend playing solitaire dropped to almost nothing.
posted @ Monday, January 7, 2008 10:16 AM